Judge sets June date for Pamela Hupp murder trial

Pamela Hupp is charged with first-degree murder for allegedly killing Louis Gumpenberger at her O'Fallon, Mo. home. She allegedly lured him there and told police he she shot him when he tried to break in. Credit: O'Fallon, Mo PD

ST. CHARLES, Mo. (KMOV.com) -- A judge has granted the defense team's wish to push back the start date of Pamela Hupp's trial.

The trial was scheduled to start in April and Hupp’s lawyers filed a motion to push that back, claiming prosecutors have not turned over all the evidence in the case. That’s the same reasoning used when the case was delayed earlier this year.

Friday, a judge granted Hupp's defense team's request to push the start date back. The new start date has not been announced but is expected to be released before December.

Read: How police tracked Pamela Hupp

Hupp was arrested and charged in August 2016 with first-degree murder, one week after fatally shooting a man inside her O’Fallon, Mo. home, according to officials. Police were originally called to the 1200 block of Little Brace Dr. about a burglary around 12 p.m. on August 16, 2016.

According to police, Hupp told them she pulled up to her home and was confronted by a stranger, who was later identified as 33-year-old Louis Gumpenberger. Authorities discovered Hupp called police to report this burglary, but moments later fired multiple rounds, killing Gumpenberger. She then called police again to report a person shot.

Hupp was also a key witness in the murder trial of Russell Faria, which Faria was convicted of stabbing Pamela Hupp’s best friend acquitted in a re-trial in 2015.

Faria’s attorney argued that the killing was carried out by Hupp, who was seeking to collect a $150,000 life insurance policy.

When investigators became to piece together multiple incidents, the death of Hupp’s mother, Shirley Neumann, came into question.

Neumann’s body was found below her apartment unit’s balcony in October 2013.

Police reported several rails from the balcony were broken, and death was deemed as suspicious at the time.

After later investigation, it was determined there was not enough evidence to charge anyone.

News 4 Reporter Lauren Trager reported that in October 2013, St. Louis County Police revealed Hupp was the last person to see her mother before her death.

Police said they are reviewing the case, but haven’t officially re-opened it.

In response to Lohmar, an attorney for Hupp said, “Another press conference. The prosecutor is doing his best to make it impossible to seat an impartial local jury.”

Prosecutors said they’ll seek the death penalty.

Copyright 2017 KMOV (Meredith Corporation). All rights reserved

Recommended for you