UNIVERSITY CITY, Mo. (KMOV.com) – A 57-year-old man died when a fire broke out at a University City home Friday night, firefighters said.

The blaze broke out at a home in the 8000 block of Appleton. The man and his mother were home at the time.

The man, later identified as Richard Clements, was in the basement when the fire started.

His 85-year-old mother was on the first floor. Firefighters said when they rescued her, she was in cardiac arrest, but they were able to get her pulse back. There is no word on her condition.

According to University City's Fire Chief, the cause of fire was smoking in bed. 

No other information has been released. 

Copyright 2019 KMOV (Meredith Corporation). All Rights Reserved

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
PLEASE TURN OFF YOUR CAPS LOCK.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.