LEBANON, Ill. (KMOV.com) – A natural gas explosion started a fire at a building in Lebanon, Illinois Friday night, firefighters said.

Lebanon explosion

Firefighters were on the scene at the Edward Jones building on W. St. Louis Street. The building appears to have suffered significant damage. No one was inside when the fire broke out.

Authorities said a man was inside the Lebanon Chiropractic Clinic next door but he escaped the flames.

An apartment where a single father of two lives was heavily damaged. Nobody was home when the explosion happened. A GoFundMe page has been created to help him and his family.

The first block of W. St. Louis Street is closed because the building is leaning out towards the street and firefighters are worried about a possible collapse.

Nearby residents said they smelled gas before the explosion.

Officials said no one was injured in the fire. 

Copyright 2019 KMOV (Meredith Corporation). All Rights Reserved


Recommended for you

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.