The danger of keyless cars: What you need to know

More than two dozen people have died from carbon monoxide poisoning after accidentally leaving their cars running in the garage, according to The New York Times. Dozens more suffered debilitating injuries.

TAMPA, Fla. (WFTS) -- Tampa firefighters are warning people of the dangers of keyless ignition cars after a man died from carbon monoxide poisoning on Davis Island.

Thomas Martino was killed and his wife Pamela was sent to the hospital after they were poisoned in their home on E. Davis Blvd. Investigators believe the Martinos’ left their Mercedes SUV running in the garage that is connected to their townhouse.

"It is a push-button vehicle," said firefighter Matt Rusell. "Newer push-button cars tend to be quieter cars, and it's very easy to forget if you are distracted to turn the button off."

Russell said poisoning calls are on the rise as more of the newer push-button cars are being manufactured.

"It appears they are on the rise, people forget to turn them off," said Russell.

Some Davis Islands residents are learning from this scare. Tampa firefighters are urging residents to install carbon monoxide detectors.

"It just makes you aware that it's a danger when you find out someone literally across the street died from it," said neighbor Ethan Ogborn.

Warning signs of carbon monoxide are nausea, vomiting and headache.

Tags

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
PLEASE TURN OFF YOUR CAPS LOCK.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.