ST. LOUIS ( – Two 17-year-olds are charged in connection with a shootout with police in which an off-duty officer was mistakenly shot by a fellow officer.

Deadre Chaney of the 80 block of Reasnor and Cortney Smith of the 10000 block of Seaton are charged with assault, armed criminal action, felony fleeing and tampering. Both are being held on a $500,000 cash-only bond.

An off-duty St. Louis Police officer was shot by “friendly fire” after hearing a shootout between officers and suspects in north St. Louis overnight, according to St. Louis Police Department.

Around 10 p.m. Wednesday at Broadway and Cole in downtown St. Louis, the city’s anti-crime unit spotted a car reported stolen out of Maryland Heights on June 15. When the three suspects noticed the officers, they drove away.

“[The officers] followed the vehicle to the area of West Florissant and Riverview, where they spiked the vehicle. The occupants of the vehicle fired at the officers who were following them. The officers backed off but continued to follow the path of the vehicle,” Interim St. Louis Police Chief Lt. Col. Lawrence O’Toole said.

Eventually, the suspects’ car stopped at Park Avenue and Astra in north St. Louis and the suspects exited the car and exchanged gunfire with officers, according to police. An off-duty officer who lives in the area heard what was going on and went outside of his house armed with his department-issued gun.

When the off-duty officer went outside, the two officers involved in the pursuit of the suspects ordered him to ground. The off-duty officer complied, at which point the officers recognized him, told him to stand up and walk towards them.

While the off-duty officer was walking towards the on-duty officers, a third officer arrived on the scene. The third officer reportedly did not recognize the off-duty officer and fired his gun, striking the off-duty officer in the arm.

According to O’Toole, the off-duty officer did not fire any shots.

One of the suspects was shot in the ankle. A third suspect, described by police as being “young,” is currently at-large.

The injured off-duty officer is described as a 38-year-old man with 11 years of service. He was taken to the hospital and listed as stable but was released Thursday morning.

Two guns were recovered at the scene.

Mayor Lyda Krewson was at the hospital following the shooting and said she was “happy the officer is in good condition.”

Per department policy, seven officers will be placed on administrative leave.

The Force Investigative Unit responded to the scene.

Copyright 2017 KMOV (Meredith Corporation). All rights reserved.

Digital Content Producer

Recommended for you