ST. LOUIS COUNTY ( – A carjacking suspect is in critical condition after a bi-state police chase ended with a self-inflicted gunshot wound early Monday morning.

St. Louis County officers said the victim met with the suspect, later identified as 20-year-old Cameron Morris, on Arcaro Drive to purchase marijuana around 1:30 a.m. According to court records, when the suspect got into the victim’s house he pointed a gun at her head and asked her, “Where’s it at? Give it to me!” The victim told Morris everything was in her car and then she fled from her house and was pursued by the suspect, officials said.

The suspect eventually caught up with the victim and reportedly demanded her purse and keys. After getting the items, Morris allegedly got into the victim’s 2004 Chevrolet Impala and drove away.

After the information regarding the carjacking was broadcast, St. Louis County officers in Blackjack saw the carjacked vehicle and attempted to stop it. The suspect refused to stop, initiating a police pursuit.

During the pursuit, the suspect weaved in and out of traffic and drove onto sidewalks and front lawns, police said.

The pursuit then crossed over into Illinois, where the Illinois State Police Department and Granite City Police Department assisted. Officers from Granite City deployed spike-strips and the suspect vehicle stopped in the area of Route 3 near North 20th Street.

When officers approached the vehicle they saw a woman in the front seat and a man in the driver’s seat. The woman exited the vehicle. Police believe the woman was picked up after the initial carjacking. Officials said no criminal charges were filed against her.

When officers approached the driver’s side window they saw Morris with what appeared to be a wound to the head. Police officials said they believed the suspect may still have a gun in the car so officers backed up for more cover.

After officers gave multiple directions from their PA system the suspect got out of the vehicle and was taken into custody. He was then taken to the hospital and listed in critical condition.

A gun was found inside the carjacked vehicle.

Officers said they are currently unsure of when Morris shot himself in the head. Officials said there was no gunfire heard during the pursuit or after the pursuit ended.

Morris, of Florissant, was charged with first-degree robbery, resisting arrest and armed criminal action. His cash-only bond was set at $100,000.

A portion of Route 3 was closed while police were on the scene. It reopened around 5:15 a.m.

Copyright 2018 KMOV (Meredith Corporation). All rights reserved

Digital Content Producer

Recommended for you