ST. CHARLES, Mo. (KMOV.com) - Two residents were taken to a hospital after a fire broke out at an independent living facility in St. Charles Sunday afternoon.

The fire broke out at Fairwinds River's Edge just before 2:00 p.m.

Firefighters say the blaze started in the kitchen of a fourth floor apartment and damage was largely contained to that apartment but firefighters evacuated the building as smoke quickly spread to other floors.

Two residents were taken to a hospital for burns and smoke inhalation. Paramedics checked about two dozens other residents to make sure they were okay.

Recommended for you

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
PLEASE TURN OFF YOUR CAPS LOCK.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.