ST. PETERS, Mo. (KMOV.com) -- Two people were treated after a gas leak at the St. Peters Costco released hazardous material Wednesday night. 

Central County Fire and Rescue at Costco in St. Peters for gas leak

Crews with the Central County Fire and Rescue were called to the Costco after a line supplying refrigerant gas burst and sent hazardous material known as R-22 throughout the building. Officials said this happened at around 7:30 p.m. Employees activated the fire alarm after thinking the gas leak was smoke. The fire alarm helped in getting people evacuated.

Paramedics on scene treated two people for breathing problems. They were not taken to hospitals and no other injuries were reported. 

Crews stayed at Costco until the building was entirely ventilated and the gas is out. Thursday morning, Costco told News 4 the store would reopen as usual. 

Copyright 2021 KMOV (Meredith Corporation). All rights reserved

Recommended for you

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
PLEASE TURN OFF YOUR CAPS LOCK.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.