Child, 3, dies in Jefferson County house fire

Published: Oct. 11, 2022 at 9:15 AM CDT|Updated: Oct. 11, 2022 at 3:55 PM CDT
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

ST. LOUIS, Mo. (KMOV) - A 3-year-old child died in a house fire that broke out at a mobile home in High Ridge Tuesday morning.

The fire broke out in the 3100 block of Diamond Drive. High Ridge Fire Protection District Chief John Barton said when the first fire truck arrived the flames were already intense.

”We had heavy smoke coming from the front door of the structure and also one of the rooms. The windows had broken out and we had fire coming out of the windows,” said Barton.

The mother and a 5-year-old son were able to get out but the boy suffered burns and smoke inhalation.

Neighbors told News 4 they used a garden hose and fire extinguishers to try to fight the flames. And two neighbors went into the trailer to try to rescue the 3-year-old.

Michelle Kelly is a neighbor who watched the rescue attempt.

”My husband and my brother-in-law ran in to try to save Kaiden but it was too engulfed. My brother-in-law actually got stuck in the home and my husband had to kick in the door because he couldn’t get out and now he’s being treated for smoke inhalation,” said Kelly.

The 3-year-old has been identified as Kaiden Strubberg.

Kelly said he was just the happiest little boy.

A GoFundMe account has been set up to help the family. Also, donations of clothing can be dropped off at the Potosi Fire Protection District firehouse #1 at 313 East Jefferson Street in Potosi. Organizers are requesting women’s clothing size X-small and boys size 5-6.

The Missouri Fire Marshal’s office is investigating the cause of the fire. But Chief Barton said there’s no evidence at this time of anything suspicious.

”The Sheriff’s Office would like to thank the citizens who bravely attempted to extinguish the fire before first responders arrived. Our condolences are with the victim’s family as they cope with this tragedy. Our hearts also go out to the first responders and dispatchers involved in this morning’s response. This was a tough day for everyone involved,” read a portion of the press release from the Jefferson County Sheriff’s Office.