No active investigation in Cora Faith Walker’s death, officials say

Published: Mar. 14, 2022 at 6:51 PM CDT
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

ST. LOUIS (KMOV) – Officials released a new timeline surrounding the sudden death of St. Louis County leader and former Missouri State Representative Cora Faith Walker.

At the time of her death, Walker, 37, was one of the top government officials in St. Louis County. Many remember her as bright and wonderful, a dedicated public servant, and a fierce friend.

According to pictures posted on social media, Walker was at St. Louis Mayor Tishaura Jones’ birthday party at Neo on Locust on Thursday, March 10. The two were close friends, according to a press release from the mayor’s office. St. Louis Public Safety Director Dr. Dan Isom said Walker stayed at the Loews Hotel and entered her room around midnight with an unidentified person. According to Isom, surveillance video showed that individual leaving her room at 7 a.m. Friday, and then two hours later Walker was seen walking out of her room, before collapsing outside.

Isom clarified that the person is not a suspect.

After discovering Walker in the hallway, a Good Samaritan called 911 at 8:55 a.m. and attempted to resuscitate the fallen St. Louis County leader. Isom later outlined the full timeline of when first responders arrived on the scene:

  • At 9 a.m., emergency crews were assigned to the call
  • At 9:04 a.m., the Fire Department arrived at the scene.
  • At 9:13 a.m., an ambulance arrived at the hotel and departed at 9:39 a.m.
  • Crews got to the hospital at 9:46 a.m. and Walker was pronounced dead at 9:58 a.m.

During a briefing Monday, Isom said officers did not collect evidence from the hotel and there is not an active local or federal police investigation underway.

The Medical Examiner’s Office performed an autopsy on March 15 and told News 4 there were no signs of physical injury on Walker’s body. He said the medical examiner has not arrived at a final determination to Walker’s cause of death.

“It was just the nature of how the call came in,” said Isom. “Originally the police did not respond, and that doesn’t always occur. EMS, paramedics responded and tried to stabilize her and then brought her to the hospital.”

A spokesperson for the mayor’s office said she was not present at the Loews Hotel on Friday morning and wasn’t staying at that hotel.