EAST ST. LOUIS, Il. (KMOV.com) -- East St. Louis received a grant from IDOT that would cover most of the cost for a downtown streetscape project.
The project would involve new lighting, better sidewalks and fixing up abandoned buildings.
Kaskaskia Engineering Group said the changes would make a big difference in downtown East St. Louis.
“It’s pretty depressed. It is pretty dismal,” said Geri Boyer with Kaskaskia Engineering Group, “But we’ve taken down a couple buildings downtown to make room for some improvements. But it’s beaming for potential, that’s for sure.”
East St. Louis hasn’t signed off on any project yet.
IDOT would cover 80% of the funding. The city would have to come up with the remaining 20%.