FENTON, Mo. (KMOV) – Three people were injured in a three-alarm fire in Fenton on Thursday.
Officials said nine people were inside the home when the fire broke out in the garage on May Valley Lane around 2:30 p.m.
While the flames were mostly contained to one end of the house, heavy black smoke filled the entire home one witness stated.
Six of the nine residents home at the time of the blaze were able to make it out safely.
Chad Douglas says his 2-year-old niece, 36-year-old brother and his girlfriend got trapped in the basement. Firefighters were able to rescue the trapped residents from a basement window. Moments before that, Douglas had opened the garage door to try to put out the fire with an extinguisher, but it was too late.
"I tried to get the fire extinguisher to work and I panicked, you know, I couldn't get it and I heard somebody say, 'get out, get out,'" he said. “(It was) more frightening when I couldn’t go back in the house and get my brother and my niece and his girlfriend."
Deputy Fire Chief Rob Odenwald said the three victims were conscious and talking when they were pulled from the home.
"It appears these folks were trapped in the basement," he said. "They were trapped in the basement, the first floor had smoke in it, but the fire was contained to the garage."
The man and woman were taken to Saint Claire Health Center. The man is recovering on a ventilator with damage to his lungs. The woman is being treated for cuts she received while being rescued through the broken basement window.
The young girl is now at Cardinal Glennon and is expected to make a full recovery.
Authorities said a total of 10 people live in the home, but one person was at work when the fire started.
Authorities have not yet released information about how the fire started.