Posted on April 23, 2011 at 9:56 AM
Saturday, Apr 23 at 11:34 AM
ST.LOUIS (KMOV)-- Lambert Airport Director Rhonda Hamm-Niebruegge hopes operations will be at 70 percent capacity Sunday, as she said in a press conference with several local leaders Saturday morning.
Terminal 1 sustained most of the damage in Friday’s storms. Pieces of the roof were ripped away, windows were shattered, and restaurants inside the terminal suffered, as well.
Governor Nixon has declared the metro-area a disaster zone, and Congressman Lacy Clay is working to secure federal aid to help with restoration of all local destruction.
Hamm-Niebruegge said the airlines that fly out of Concourse C, those being American, Frontier, Cape Air, and Air Tran, will need to be relocated. Airport officials hope to reach 100 percent of operations by mid-week.
Hamm-Niebruegge said five passengers were taken to the DePaul Emergency Room from the airport, not four as previously reported. All have been treated and released.
No runways were damaged. All flights are canceled for Saturday, but are expected to resume Sunday afternoon.
Customers should call the airlines, not the airport, regarding rescheduled or canceled flights.