Report: Missouri Gas Energy failed to ensure safety before KC restaurant explosion

Print
Email
|

by Associated Press

KMOV.com

Posted on February 6, 2014 at 6:33 PM

Updated Thursday, Feb 6 at 6:41 PM

KANSAS CITY, Mo. (AP) — A report from Missouri Public Service Commission staff says Missouri Gas Energy failed to take "prompt and adequate" steps to ensure safety before a fatal restaurant explosion in Kansas City.

The 120-page report released Thursday says Missouri Gas Energy waited too long before checking whether gas levels had reached unsafe conditions inside JJ's restaurant on Feb. 19, 2013. An explosion and fire leveled the building, killing a JJ's employee and injuring about a dozen people.

Authorities have said the explosion and fire were caused when a natural gas supply line was breached by a cable company's subcontractor.

The PSC staff also filed a complaint against MGE asking the commission to find the utility violated PSC safety rules.

MGE says it's reviewing the report, but that it takes safety very seriously.

Print
Email
|