Firefighters believe barbecue pit left too close to home caused - KMOV.com

Firefighters believe barbecue pit left too close to home caused fire

Posted: Updated:
Firefighters believe a BBQ pit was the cause of fire in an occupied home in the 5800 block of DeGiverville Sunday morning. No injuries were reported. (Credit: KMOV) Firefighters believe a BBQ pit was the cause of fire in an occupied home in the 5800 block of DeGiverville Sunday morning. No injuries were reported. (Credit: KMOV)
ST. LOUIS, Mo. (KMOV.com) -

Emergency crews responded to a house fire in the 5800 block of DeGiverville early Sunday morning.

The home, located just north of Forest Park, was occupied at the time but no injuries were reported. News 4 spoke to the homeowner named Sylvia Jefferson. She was living there with her mother and dog. They all got out of the home in time. 

"We can rebuild, we can rebuild. Thank god we're alive," said Jefferson.

Firefighters believe a barbecue pit was what started the fire. According to fire crews, the homeowner barbecued Saturday evening and more than likely left the pit too close to the home. 

"Be sure that you're grilling far enough away from your home," said Capt. Garon Mosby, with the St. Louis Fire Dept., "The porch might not be far enough away. [The grill needs to be] 10-15 feet away from the house."

The fire did spread to the neighboring home but crews were able to control the flames shortly after. Neighbors did report hearing a loud boom during the fire. Firefighters believe that sound was an oxygen tank that was inside the home. 

"It's still early on, but that's what we believe the explosive sound was. There were 4 oxygen tanks, 3 larger ones and a smaller one," said Mosby.

Capt. Mosby said the flames carried over into one of the neighboring homes causing moderate damage to the second floor. Everyone in that home, including two small children, escaped safely. 

Copyright 2018 KMOV (Meredith Corporation). All rights reserved

Powered by Frankly