A look at claims of racial bias in US restaurants - KMOV.com

A look at claims of racial bias in US restaurants

Posted: Updated:
Videos posted online show officers handcuffing the men in the downtown establishment on Thursday. A white man in the video is heard saying he was meeting with the men and calls the arrest "ridiculous." (Credit: AP) Videos posted online show officers handcuffing the men in the downtown establishment on Thursday. A white man in the video is heard saying he was meeting with the men and calls the arrest "ridiculous." (Credit: AP)

By The Associated Press

Starbucks is only the latest U.S. food chain to come under scrutiny because of the way black people were treated at one of its locations.

Some companies have been accused of systemic racism; others have faced complaints about isolated occurrences. Allegations of discrimination against minorities go back decades and include:

DENNY'S

Denny's, with more than 1,700 restaurants, agreed to pay more than $54 million in a landmark settlement of racial discrimination claims with the Justice Department in 1994.

Thousands of black customers alleged they were refused service, forced to wait longer than white customers or overcharged at Denny's restaurants nationwide.

The agreement was called the largest settlement ever under federal public accommodation laws. Denny's promised to treat all customers equally in the future under the settlement, but incidents have continued.

Just last year, the company apologized and workers at a franchise restaurant in Washington state were fired after a group of black young men were forced to wait and then were asked to prepay for food.

CRACKER BARREL

Cracker Barrel agreed to pay almost $9 million in 2004 to settle allegations the restaurant chain mistreated black customers and discriminated against black workers.

More than 40 plaintiffs in 16 states alleged black people were denied service, assigned to segregated seating, subjected to racial slurs and served food from the trash. Also, about a dozen employees complained that black workers were segregated from white workers and generally received "back of the house" assignments such as cook and dishwasher.

Also in 2004, the company settled a Justice Department lawsuit in an agreement which included a finding that black customers at many of the country-themed restaurants were treated poorly.

Cracker Barrel has about 650 restaurants in 45 states, according to its website.

IHOP

IHOP, run by International House of Pancakes LLC, apologized last month after a waitress asked black teenagers to pay upfront for a meal at a restaurant in Auburn, Maine.

The chain, with more than 1,750 locations worldwide, said it had "zero tolerance" for discrimination. IHOP President Darren Rebelez called the episode an "isolated incident" and said the restaurant was reaching out to the teenagers to apologize.

Rebelez said "appropriate disciplinary actions" would be taken.

The restaurant manager said there had been problems with teenagers walking out without paying for meals, but that the waitress' actions were wrong.

APPLEBEE'S

Applebee's apologized, fired workers and closed a restaurant in Independence, Missouri, where two black women said they were falsely accused of not paying for meals in February.

Two women posted a video online showing a restaurant employee, a police officer and a mall security guard confronting them for "dining and dashing" during a previous visit, which the women denied.

The video showed the police officer laughing at one point and waving at the person with the camera. The city said it had reviewed the officer's conduct but would not comment on the findings.

The Kansas City Star reported it was unclear whether the restaurant closure was directly related to the racial profiling incident because the mall where the Applebee's was located was scheduled for a foreclosure sale.

Applebee's has almost 1,970 franchise restaurants.

Copyright 2018 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Producer Login

  • NationalMore>>

  • APNewsBreak: Youngest migrants held in 'tender age' shelters

    APNewsBreak: Youngest migrants held in 'tender age' shelters

    Tuesday, June 19 2018 9:12 PM EDT2018-06-20 01:12:25 GMT
    Friday, June 22 2018 6:42 AM EDT2018-06-22 10:42:59 GMT
    Nicole Hernandez, of the Mexican state of Guerrero, holds on to her mother as they wait with other families to request political asylum in the United States, across the border in Tijuana, Mexico, on Wednesday, June 13, 2018. (AP Photo/Gregory Bull)Nicole Hernandez, of the Mexican state of Guerrero, holds on to her mother as they wait with other families to request political asylum in the United States, across the border in Tijuana, Mexico, on Wednesday, June 13, 2018. (AP Photo/Gregory Bull)

    Migrant babies and young children are being held in special "tender age" shelters after being taken from their parents at the US-Mexico border.

    More >

    Migrant babies and young children are being held in special "tender age" shelters after being taken from their parents at the US-Mexico border.

    More >
  • AP Explains: US has split up families throughout its history

    AP Explains: US has split up families throughout its history

    Wednesday, June 20 2018 1:41 AM EDT2018-06-20 05:41:08 GMT
    Friday, June 22 2018 6:42 AM EDT2018-06-22 10:42:44 GMT
    (AP Photo/File). FILE - In this March 30, 1942 file photo, Cpl. George Bushy, left, a member of the military guard which supervised the departure of 237 Japanese people for California, holds the youngest child of Shigeho Kitamoto, center, as she and he...(AP Photo/File). FILE - In this March 30, 1942 file photo, Cpl. George Bushy, left, a member of the military guard which supervised the departure of 237 Japanese people for California, holds the youngest child of Shigeho Kitamoto, center, as she and he...
    AP Explains: US has split up families and detained children throughout its history.More >
    AP Explains: US has split up families and detained children throughout its history.More >
  • Lewandowski on girl with Down syndrome: 'Wah wah'

    Lewandowski on girl with Down syndrome: 'Wah wah'

    Tuesday, June 19 2018 11:35 PM EDT2018-06-20 03:35:12 GMT
    Friday, June 22 2018 4:03 AM EDT2018-06-22 08:03:24 GMT
    Corey Lewandowski, a former campaign manager for President Donald Trump, created a stir by dismissing a story about a girl with Down syndrome. (AP Photo/Mark Lennihan)Corey Lewandowski, a former campaign manager for President Donald Trump, created a stir by dismissing a story about a girl with Down syndrome. (AP Photo/Mark Lennihan)

    A former campaign manager for Donald Trump has created a stir by dismissing a story about a girl with Down syndrome with a sarcastic "Wah wah."

    More >

    A former campaign manager for Donald Trump has created a stir by dismissing a story about a girl with Down syndrome with a sarcastic "Wah wah."

    More >
Powered by Frankly