Ameristar Casino Resort Spa St. Charles
Cajun Shrimp and Grits prepared by Falcon Diner Chef de Cuisine Chad Taylor
Cajun Shrimp Sauce
- 1 -1 1/2 pound Jumbo shrimp peeled and deveined
- 5 thick bacon slices, chopped
- ½ cup diced smoked ham
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- ½ cup red bell pepper, diced
- ½ cup green bell pepper, diced
- 1 cup yellow onion, diced
- ½ cup celery, diced
- 2 teaspoons Cajun seasoning
- 2 tablespoons Tabasco sauce
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 cup or more chicken broth
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 lemon (optional)
- Salt and pepper
- 1 cup quick grits
- 2 cups water
- 3 cups heavy whipping cream
- ¼ cup sweet cream butter
- 1-2 cups white sharp cheddar cheese
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Start by adding water, 2 cups heavy cream, salt and pepper to a heavy saucepan. Bring to a boil.
- Gradually whisk in the grits, until you have added the whole thing in the pot, a little at a time. Keep stirring with a whisk to prevent any lumps.
- You may have to remove saucepan from heat while trying to get rid of lumps – if needed.
- Reduce heat and cook grits at a bare simmer, stirring constantly, until liquid is fully absorbed and grits thickened. This will take you about 15 minutes.
- Remove grits from heat; add butter and cheese, stirring with a whisk until cheese melts. Add remaining cream now and put back on heat to get desired consistency.
- Assemble the dish by placing the grits at the bottom of a shallow bowl, Cajun shrimp and it’s sauce. Garnish with diced tomatoes and green onions.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, sauté bacon until brown and crisp. This may take about 3-5 minutes.
- Remove bacon from skillet and transfer to a plate. There will be some bacon drippings left in the pan (about 3 tablespoons).
- Add about 1 tablespoon of butter to the pan. Followed by shrimp. Season with Cajun seasoning and sauté shrimp for about 3-4 minutes. Set aside
- Then add garlic, smoked ham, bell pepper, celery, onion, parsley, green onions, Worcestershire sauce and Tabasco sauce. Add about 1/4 cup broth or more -adjust to preference . Continue cooking for another 3 minutes. Add heavy whipping cream and let simmer for 10 minutes. Add shrimp toward the last minute, together with lemon juice, adjusting to taste. Toss in the crisp bacon then salt and pepper to taste.
- Remove and serve over grits