Wrongful death lawsuit filed against nursing home where patient - KMOV.com

Wrongful death lawsuit filed against nursing home where patient caught fire

Posted: Updated:
Donna Chapman. Credit: KMOV Donna Chapman. Credit: KMOV
ST. CHARLES COUNTY (KMOV.com) -

A man has filed a lawsuit against a nursing home last week where his mother was fatally burned after smoking cigarettes. 

Donna Chapman was smoking cigarettes on the patio NHC Healthcare back in May. Donna Chapman's clothes caught fire and days later, she died from her injuries.

Her son, Dean Chapman, filed a wrongful death lawsuit against NHC Healthcare on Oct. 23. In the lawsuit, the nursing home is accused of leaving Chapman, who was partially disabled, alone on the patio to smoke without a special apron. The apron was supposed to protect her from ashes from her cigarettes. 

The damages sought are unspecified. 

News 4 will update this story as more information becomes available. 

Copyright 2017 KMOV (Meredith Corporation). All rights reserved.

Watch News 4 Now

Mouse over player for controls · LAUNCH FULL PLAYER

Powered by Frankly