Speeding SUV crashes into roof of St. Louis home - KMOV.com


Speeding SUV crashes into roof of St. Louis home

Posted: Updated:
Authorities were called to the 5900 block of Lillian, where a car was lodged into the roof of a house (Credit: KMOV) Authorities were called to the 5900 block of Lillian, where a car was lodged into the roof of a house (Credit: KMOV)
ST. LOUIS, Mo. (KMOV.com) -

Fire crews were called to a bizarre scene in St. Louis' Walnut Park West neighborhood on Sunday, where a car became trapped in the roof of a house.

The incident happened around 1 p.m. in the 5900 block of Lillian. According to the St. Louis Fire Department, no one was in the house at the time of the accident, but one person was trapped inside of the car. 

Download the KMOV News app for breaking news alerts

The St. Louis Fire Department said in a Facebook post that one person was rescued from the vehicle and taken to an area hospital in critical condition. 

Larry Davis witnessed exactly how it unfolded.

"I'll tell you I've never seen anything like that in my life...and I probably won't ever see it again," said Davis.

He said it happened just after he got out of church on Sunday morning, which is located at the corner of that intersection. He started going Facebook Live on the scene. 

Davis explained to News 4 that the car was driving at high speed down Mimika Ave.

"The car was going pretty fast, maybe 80-90 mph," said Davis. 

Once the SUV hit the T-intersection of Mimika Ave. & Lillian Ave., the vehicle drove over the curb, up the small hill or terrace of land in front of the house and launched into the air, landing on the roof of a residential home. 

"He never took his foot off the gas. You could tell, he never took his foot off the gas," said Davis. 

Davis described the unidentified driver as a male in his 40s. 

"He was just happy to be alive. You could tell he had a couple of broken bones. It was visible, a lot of blood," said Davis.

The St. Louis Fire Department said the driver was trapped in his car for about an hour before he was extricated. The SUV sat on the roof for another 3 hours, before a towing company pulled it down. 

The owner of the home told News 4 he was at the gym when his neighbor called and said, "Bruce, you got to get back here." Bruce said he is in disbelief but in great spirits. He also said everyone from first responders to the Red Cross has been great in trying to help him out. 

The owner also said he recently paid off the house.

Neighbors said this is not the first time a vehicle has ended up in this same yard.

"This is the second time it's happened since I've been here for 6 months," said Angelo Bridges, who lives across the street from the crash. Both he and Davis said the intersection sees reckless driving all the time.  

"People just speeding, not stopping for stop signs," said Bridges.

"Our church fence has damage from a car accident that happened just a few weeks ago, but I've never seen anybody come that fast," said Davis.

The city placed a fourth stop sign at this intersection after the first crash last month, but since the second one, the neighbors say that's not enough to prevent the problem. "They need to put some speed bumps or something down," said Bridges.

Authorities are still investigating how the car managed to get into the roof of the home.  

Copyright 2017 KMOV (Meredith Corporation). All rights reserved.

Powered by Frankly