Suspect who shot himself after crashing stolen vehicle is charge -

Suspect who shot himself after crashing stolen vehicle is charged

Posted: Updated:
ST. LOUIS, Mo. ( -

A suspect who shot himself after a carjacking and high speed chase is facing charges.

Terrence Mayfield is charged with first-degree robbery, armed criminal action, assault, stealing of a motor vehicle and resisting arrest.

St. Louis County Police said around 12:45 a.m. Friday, officers in the Central County Precinct were advised of a police pursuit that was entering their jurisdiction. The chase originated in Wentzville after a trio of suspects allegedly carjacked a vehicle and fled from police. 

Police said prior to the pursuit, two Wentzville residents, a man and a woman, had just gotten off work around 1:00 a.m., when they decided to go to Walmart and get some groceries. 

It was at that time three male suspects approached the man and woman in the parking lot.

The man was behind the car putting the groceries in when the suspects held him up at gunpoint.  Police say the woman was in the driver’s seat and was dragged out of the car and pistol-whipped by Mayfield

After the suspects stole their vehicle, the victims contacted the authorities and a high-speed chase followed.  Police from several municipalities used a device to flatten the suspect’s tires along the way.

“There were a number of agencies that assisted us down I-70 into St. Louis County,” Major Paul West of the Wentzville Police Department said. “Our guys actually dropped out of the pursuit as a result of being stop-sticked themselves in O’Fallon.  The other agencies continued on.

“The (suspect’s) car was stopped at I-70 and 270, where their tires were deflated and instead of curbing, they rolled over and stopped.  They crashed at I-270 and Page,” Major West said.

Officers said they heard a gunshot from inside the vehicle, but were unable to see inside. The airbags had deployed during the accident and blocked their view. 

Police gave several commands to the suspects. The St. Louis County Police Department's Tactical Operations Unit approached the vehicle, and were able to talk two suspects out. 

The suspects who exited the vehicle later told police Mayfield shot himself after saying he did not want to go to prison. 

Mayfield was taken to the hospital. Police said he is expected to survive, although his condition is not known. 

The two other suspects, both juveniles, did not sustain any injuries, and are currently in the custody of St. Louis County Family Courts. 

Three weapons were found inside the stolen vehicle, police said. 

The suspects crashed their vehicle, which caused the shutdown of I-270 in both directions for several hours. 

The investigation into the carjacking-turned-police chase is ongoing. 

Copyright 2016 KMOV (Meredith Corporation). All rights reserved.

Powered by Frankly