Lindenwood basketball players accused of sexual assault - KMOV.com

Lindenwood basketball players accused of sexual assault

Posted: Updated:
Tylan Birts, Ermias Nega and Bradley Newman Jr are accused of sexually assaulting a woman. Credit: Police Tylan Birts, Ermias Nega and Bradley Newman Jr are accused of sexually assaulting a woman. Credit: Police
ST. CHARLES, Mo. (KMOV.com) -

Two Lindenwood basketball players are accused of sexually assaulting a woman.

Ermias Nega,22, and Tylan Birts, 19, are both charged with rape. Their roommate and teammate, Bradley Newman, 20, is charged with misdemeanor invasion of privacy. 

Police said the sexual assault happened on campus housing at the 1600 block of Collum Drive on September 18. 

Authorities said Nega brought the victim to his residence and the two had consensual sex, but then Nega left the room and told his roommates, Newman and Birts that she was "ready" for sex.

Birts then entered Nega’s room and started to have sex with the victim. When the victim realized the person she was having sex with was not Nega, she reached for the lights, according to officials. 

The victim noticed both Birts and Newman naked. Newman was watching and waiting.

According to court documents, Birts confessed the victim "did not know or consent to having sex with [him]."

When the victim confronted Nega, he told her "if she told, she would be the one shamed and she should not report it or say anything," according to police. But the female victim did report it to police. Students received a campus wide alert on the night of the sexual assault. 

The suspects were arrested on October 14 and, according to Lindenwood University spokesperson Chris Dugan, the school is cooperating with the investigation. 

All three have been suspended indefinitely from the basketball team. Birts and Nega both transferred to Lindenwood University this year. Both talented basketball players, they were set to start the season on Nov. 3. Newman played on the team last year and was awarded the "Heart of a Lion" award last year.

Dugan says the university is also conducting it's own separate Title IX investigation into the accusations. 

All three men have bonded out of jail but were ordered to have no contact with the victim. 

Copyright 2016 KMOV (Meredith Corporation). All rights reserved.

Watch News 4 Now

Mouse over player for controls · LAUNCH FULL PLAYER

Powered by Frankly