Carol Hurst from Olde Town Spice Shoppe shows us how to make Pizza Poppers.
1 ball pizza or bread dough/dinner rolls (about 1 pound), s
1 cup tomato sauce
1 tbl Olde Town Spice Shoppe Italian Seasoning
2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
1/2 pound cooked sausage, crumbled (optional)
1 tsp Olde Town Spice Shoppe Italian Sausage Seasoning (optional)
Flour for dusting
1. Preheat the oven: Preheat the oven to 500°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
2. Gather the ingredients: Gather the pizza dough and bring it to room temperature, as well as the sauce, mozzarella cheese, and cooked, crumbled sausage (if using).
3. Combine the ingredients: In a medium bowl, combine the pizza sauce, cheese, and sausage. Stir until completely mixed together.
4. Roll out the dough: Cut the dough into workable pieces, about the size of a tennis ball. On a lightly floured work surface, roll out the dough into a long rectangle, until it's about 4 inches wide and about 1/4-inch thick.
5. Add the filling: Down one side of the dough, drop small spoonfuls (roughly 1 teaspoon) of filling ingredients in little mounds. Leave about 1 inch between each mound of filling.
6. Fold the dough: Fold dough over the top of the toppings and press between the mounds of filling with your fingers.
7. Cut the dough: Using a bench scraper or sharp knife, cut each pizza bite apart from the next.
8. Pinch the seams: Pinch the freshly cut ends together. They'll be sticky and should hold together nicely, making a neat edge. The amount of execution needed for this step will usually depend on your dough and its willingness to play nice.
9. Brush with olive oil: Transfer the pizza bites to a baking sheet, spaced about 1-inch apart. Lightly brush the top of each pizza bite with olive oil and sprinkle with a pinch of kosher salt.
10. Bake until golden: Bake for 8 to 10 minutes, until the tops are golden-brown. Remove from the oven, cool slightly, and serve.