St. Louis officers cleared by special prosecutor in 2015 fatal s - KMOV.com

St. Louis officers cleared by special prosecutor in 2015 fatal shooting

Posted: Updated:
The scene following the fatal shooting of Isaac Holmes on Jan. 21, 2015 (Credit: KMOV) The scene following the fatal shooting of Isaac Holmes on Jan. 21, 2015 (Credit: KMOV)

ST. LOUIS (KMOV.com) – Two St. Louis police officers have been cleared by a special prosecutor of any wrongdoing for their role in a 2015 fatal shooting.

On January 21, 2015, the officers fatally shot 19-year-old Isaac Holmes in the 4600 block of Cottage Avenue, near the intersection of Cottage and Marcus, as he got out of a stolen red Chevrolet Monte Carlo that had been taken from South City on December 5, 2014.

Police said officers were doing hot-spot policing in north St. Louis when they noticed the stolen vehicle. The suspect vehicle made an illegal U-turn when the driver spotted officers, according to St. Louis Police Chief Sam Dotson. After the vehicle made the U-turn, officers attempted to follow, but not pursue the car. Authorities spotted the car again a short time later, right before the vehicle hit a retaining wall along Cottage near the intersection of Marcus. The car then stalled.

Click here to read the complete "Special Prosecutor's Review of the Shooting Death of Isaac Holmes" 

According to police, Holmes, who was a passenger in the vehicle, got out and refused to drop an Intratec TEC-9 gun that contained 30 rounds, at which time he was shot by the officers. Officers said the driver cooperated with police.

Holmes was taken to a hospital but later died. According to police, no officers were injured.

Special prosecutor Hal Goldsmith, who the St. Louis Circuit attorney’s office asked to review the case, said the officers shot Holmes in self-defense and did not break any laws.

Goldsmith did not interview the officers, who were not publicly identified, but did listen to taped interviews the officers gave to the Force Investigation Unit after the fatal shooting.  He also interviewed over a dozen people, including the driver of the Monte Carlo, Matthew Edwards, and reviewed lab reports, autopsy reports and physical evidence.

“...Isaac Holmes’ shooting death was a tragedy for all involved. It was a tragedy to lose the life of a young man on the eve of his twentieth birthday. It was a tragedy for his family and friends, particularly for his parents who had worked hard to support Holmes and see him graduate high school and who had tried, unsuccessfully, to steer Holmes away from the street violence and crime prevalent in the neighborhoods he lived in and frequented. It was also a tragedy for the two officers involved, who justifiably and necessarily were required to use deadly force against Holmes as they feared for their safety and their lives under the facts and circumstances here,” read the end of the report.

Late Tuesday, St. Louis Police Commissioner Sam Dotson released the following statement:

"Today, Special Prosecutor Hal Goldsmith released a report following his review of the officer-involved shooting of Isaac Holmes, who was fatally shot by two St. Louis police officers on January 21, 2015 in the 4600 block of Cottage. 

The Force Investigative Unit (FIU) concluded its investigation into this incident on November 18, 2015 and delivered its findings to the Circuit Attorney's Office. Because her office previously employed one of the involved officers, Circuit Attorney Jennifer Joyce determined it would be most appropriate for the Circuit Court to appoint a special prosecutor. Special Prosecutor Goldsmith then conducted an independent review of the case and has determined not to file charges against either of the two St. Louis police officers involved, P.O. Matthew Tesreau and P.O. Andrew Wilson, concluding that the officers fired their weapons in self-defense. P.O. Matthew Tesreau is a 36-year old white male with almost 10 years of service and P.O. Andrew Wilson is a 31-year old black male with almost 9 years of service. 

Circuit Attorney Joyce's decision to recuse herself from this case was done with the desire of seeking a fair and impartial review of this case. Special Prosecutor Goldsmith carefully and thoroughly examined all aspects of this case and I am confident his conclusion is the result of a non-bias investigation." 
 

Copyright 2016 KMOV (Meredith Corporation). All rights reserved.

Watch News 4 Now

Mouse over player for controls · LAUNCH FULL PLAYER

Powered by Frankly