iPhone catches fire and burns St. Peters man - KMOV.com

iPhone catches fire and burns St. Peters man

Posted: Updated:
Ronnie Moore's iPhone 6 caught fire while in his pocket and burned him. Credit: KMOV Ronnie Moore's iPhone 6 caught fire while in his pocket and burned him. Credit: KMOV
ST. PETERS, Mo. (KMOV.com) -

A St. Peters-area man says he sustained first and second-degree burns when his iPhone 6 caught fire.

Ronnie Moore was leaving a Fourth of July fireworks show with family, when he says his phone caught fire in his pocket.

“I’m kind of terrified of iPhones now,” said Moore.

Moore’s mother was in the car with him, when she noticed smoke coming out of her son's pocket.

"That's when I'm like ‘Oh my god, you're on fire,” said Michelle Terry. “I’m like get out, get out, get out!"

Moore ended up in the emergency room the next morning, but he still feels like he got lucky.

“The burns could've been anywhere, could've messed up the side of my face or something or messed up my hand,” said Moore.

There is no exact explanation for why the phone caught fire, but it has happened before.

In March, a teen's iPhone 6 caught fire during an Alaska Airlines flight to Hawaii.

It was also an iPhone 6 that gave a man second-degree burns in Tucson, just a month after Apple released the phone in 2014.

On Valentine's Day, a New York man's iPhone 6 gave him 10 days in the hospital.

Experts suspect the lithium battery may be an issue.

“I don't know if this started from the battery, but my goal is to find out through Apple exactly what took place with this phone and what we can do to address this issue going forward, so no one’s child gets hurt," said Terry.

News 4 contacted Apple for a comment, but has yet to hear back.

Copyright 2016 KMOV (Meredith Corporation). All rights reserved.

Powered by Frankly