Children poisoned at motel because carbon monoxide detectors not - KMOV.com

Children poisoned at motel because carbon monoxide detectors not plugged in

Posted: Updated:

PONTOON BEACH (KMOV.com) - Four children were taken to the hospital in Pontoon Beach Saturday while attending a birthday pool party at a Super 8 Motel. 

A carbon monoxide leak left the kids feeling dizzy and nauseous. Mitchell Fire Department officials returned to the motel Monday afternoon to find out what happened.

They say a bird’s nest clogged up a pipe in a utility room which caused the gas leak.  That is and of itself is a fluke which could happen anywhere.  However, the motel’s carbon monoxide detectors were not plugged in at the time to warn the visitors of the issue.

News 4 called the Super 8 motel and its corporate office to find out what happened but no one returned the calls. However, fire officials did speak.

“(The manager) did not provide an explanation for why it was unplugged so I can only assume housekeeping got in there and unplugged it and forgot to plug it back in.  I don’t know.  Those are all assumptions.  No one was able to provide an explanation why it was unplugged,” Mitchell Fire Department assistant chief George Miller said.

Officials say the problem has been fixed and all gas levels are normal.  The motel has even put an external cover on the pipe in the utility room which was clogged to make sure this does not happen again.  It’s been recommended that it also use a hardwire carbon monoxide detector in the future.

 “Its important carbon monoxide detectors be in place.  They’re just like smoke alarms.  They’re life savers,” Miller said.

Copyright 2016 KMOV (Meredith Corporation). All rights reserved

Powered by Frankly