Federal assistance available for area flood victims - KMOV.com

Federal assistance available for area flood victims

Posted: Updated:
An Arnold house flooded by the Meremac River. An Arnold house flooded by the Meremac River.

President Barack Obama signed off on the federal government to help provide financial assistance to flood victims in Missouri following the devastating floods at the end of 2015. That disaster declaration includes 33 counties, including many in our area.

News 4 has the information for flood victims to take in order to get help from FEMA.

First things first, flood victims must get in contact with FEMA. Representatives say the agencies officials won't know who needs help, if they aren’t contacted by victims.

People must do that whether they have insurance or not.

Either call or register online, both of which can fond on their website by clicking here. 

After registering, someone from FEMA will get in touch with flood victims.

If it’s determined that a flood victim is eligible for financial help, then he or she will get grant money that doesn’t have to repaid. That money can be used for things like repairing homes, replacing belongings or paying for temporary housing.

"Everyone's exact situation is unique so every family is handled on a case by case basis,” FEMA’s John Mills said. “You won't know how much money you are eligible to receive for disaster assistance until you register with fema." john mills fema

A lot of people believe if they’ve already registered with the Red Cross or another organization that they’re set with FEMA.

That is not the case. People must contact FEMA directly. You can do that by clicking here or here or by calling 1-800-621-3362.

Copyright 2016 KMOV (Meredith Corporation). All rights reserved

Powered by Frankly