Following fatal fires, firefighters release tips for safely usin - KMOV.com

Following fatal fires, firefighters release tips for safely using space heaters

Posted: Updated:

ST. LOUIS, Mo. (KMOV.com) – Firefighters are issuing warnings to those who use space heaters to stay warm following a multiple fires over the weekend.

Around 2 a.m. Sunday, an 86-year-old man was pronounced dead after a house fire in Collinsville. Roughly two hours later, according to officials, three children were killed after a space heater started a fire at a north St. Louis home. Then, just after 3 p.m. Sunday, a 50-year-old man died in a house fire in Breckenridge Hills. The last fire of Sunday occurred in Hazelwood around 11 p.m. and resulted in no known injuries

Since space heaters are being blamed for three of the four blazes on Sunday, firefighters are urging people to only use space heaters on flat surfaces, never use them where they could get wet and to make sure they are turned off before bed.

“A lot of times they just set it and then they go to sleep or it’s just too close to usually clothes or something in the room or too close to the wall and it heats that stuff and ends up catching on fire and causing problems,” said Jeff Kampwerth, with the Professional Firefighters of Eastern Missouri.  

The St. Louis Fire Department gives out free smoke detectors to anyone who needs one.

Copyright 2015 KMOV (Meredith Corporation). All rights reserved.

Powered by Frankly