Chef Mary Gutzler shares her recipe for chicken twisted stuffed peppers.
1. 4-large red, green, yellow, or orange bell peppers
2. 1-1/2-teaspoons olive oil, divided
3. 2-lbs boneless chicken thighs, cooked, shredded
4. 1-cup finely chopped red onion
5. 1-tablespoon ground cumin
6. 1-pinch ground coriander
7. 1-tablespoon sea salt or kosher salt
8. 1-tablespoon pepper
9. 1-tablespoon chili powder
10. 1-tablespoon Spanish paprika
11. 1-tablespoon cayenne pepper
12. 3-cloves garlic, minced
13. 1-15oz can black beans, rinsed and drained
14. 1-cup fresh or frozen corn kernels, thawed
15. 2-tablespoons tomato paste
16. 2-tablespoons fresh lime juice
17. 1-can fire roasted tomatoes
18. chopped cilantro for garnish
19. 1/2- cup chihuahua cheese for topping (optional)
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
1. With a paring knife carefully trim the bottoms of peppers so they stand upright (try not to cut through flesh). Slice off tops and remove and discard stems. Finely chop tops and set aside.
2. Carefully remove membranes and seeds from inside peppers. Bake until slightly softened, about 20 minutes.
3. Remove and set aside to cool.
4. Reduce oven heat to 350 degrees F
5. In skillet add 2 tablepoons olove oil, reserved chopped pepper tops, onion, cumin, coriander, sea salt and chile powder. Saute until softened.
6. Add garlic and saute for about 1 minute, stir in beans, corn, tomato paste, fire roasted tomatoes, lime juice, and chicken Reduce heat to medium-low and cook for about 5 more minutes.
7. Spray 8 inch square dish lightly with cooking spray. Stand peppers cavity side up in dish. Spoon chicken sausage mixture into peppers, packing tightly.
8. Bake until peppers are tender and filling is heated through, about 10-15 minutes.
9. Garnish with cilantro and cheese (optional). enjoy!