Chef Martin Lopez cooks up some healthy quesadillas.
Ingredients for 2 chicken quesadillas and 2 mushroom quesadillas:
1/4 cup Homemade red pepper hummus (recipe will be presented during show)
10oz chicken breast raw
1 large Portobello mushroom cap (chopped into pieces)
4 small 100-calorie multigrain tortillas
1 small avocado (sliced into 4 equal portions)
4 tablespoons goat cheese
1/2 cup chopped red onion
2 tablespoons minced garlic
fresh cilantro (garnish)
Pico de Gallo (Recipe will be presented during show)
Coconut oil spray
1. Spray a nonstick skillet with coconut oil spray and set on medium-high heat.
2. Sear 1 tablespoon of minced garlic in the skillet, then toss in chopped mushrooms. Sear and cook for about 3 minutes, stirring quickly with a spatula so that the mushroom does not completely wilt. Set the mushroom aside in a separate bowl.
3. Repeat Step 2 but instead of adding mushrooms, add chicken breast. Cook the chicken for about 12 to 15 minutes or until the meat is white when cut and the juices run clear.
4. Chop vegetables. Thinly slice red onions, chop up fresh cilantro and remove the pit from the avocado and cut into thin slices.
5. Spread about 2 tablespoons (1/8 cup) of red pepper hummus on each wheat tortilla.
6. On one side of the tortilla, add half of chopped chicken breast (or half of sautéed mushrooms), a few red onion slices, one tablespoon goat cheese, a fourth portion of avocado and fresh cilantro.
7. Fold the quesadilla in half.
8. Spray a nonstick skillet with coconut oil and set on medium heat. Allow the skillet to heat up.
Add the quesadilla to the skillet and cook for about 2 minutes on each side. Be sure to press down on the quesadilla using a spatula so that it flattens out.
9. Remove from the skillet and enjoy with fresh Pico de Gallo, Greek yogurt or salsa.