Autopsy results pending for man who died while resisting arrest, -

Autopsy results pending for man who died while resisting arrest, police say

Posted: Updated:

O'FALLON, Mo. ( – An O'Fallon, Missouri man died after jumping from an ambulance, running from police and resisting arrest, police said.

Around 11:20 p.m. Sunday night, police were called to a home on Westbrook Drive because 38-year-old Robery Kinkel was standing in the street yelling for the police to be called. When officers arrived at the home, the Kinkel mother said she was concerned for both of their safety because he was acting very paranoid, having hallucinations, exhibiting signs of manic behavior and speaking incoherently at times, according to a news release from the O'Fallon, Missouri Police Department.

Kinkel told police he would go to the hospital for an evaluation.

When medics arrived to transport Kinkel, he voluntarily got into the ambulance but fled as the ambulance was traveling down the road, police said.

Officers began looking for Kinkel and heard him screaming “help me” but he ran from police.

Kinkel was found in rear yard of a home. According to police, Kinkel was acting paranoid and as though he would assault the officers.

Officers ordered Kinkel to the ground and he complied. While officers were attempting to handcuff him, police said, he began trashing and violently kicking at the officers. The officers attempted to calm the Kinkel down, police said.

According to police, Kinkel suddenly became quiet and ceased resistance. Officers put him on his side and he was not responding. Officers said Kinkel did not have a pulse and CPR was started by police. Medics responded to the scene and transported him to the hospital, where he was later pronounced dead.

According to medics, when they originally arrived on the scene they noticed Kinkel had an increased heart rate while in a resting position.

The St. Louis County Medical Examiner's Office is conducting an autopsy to determine the cause of death.

Powered by Frankly