Unattended barbecue starts apartment complex fire in Belleville, - KMOV.com

Unattended barbecue starts apartment complex fire in Belleville, officials say

Posted: Updated:
BELLEVILLE, Ill. (KMOV.com) - A Sunday afternoon barbecue led to a fire at an apartment complex in Belleville.

Up to eight families were forced up out of their homes after two apartments were destroyed and six were damaged in the complex off of Carlyle Road.

"It apparently started on the second floor," said Assistant Chief Lyn Mueller of the East Side Fire Protection District. "We got several people off the balconies on ladders, made sure the building was clear and have been attacking the fire ever since."

Investigators said the fire began when a barbecue grill was left unattended.

Everyone got out safely and there were no injuries reported.

Firefighters remind residents to use grills with caution over the holiday weekend.
Powered by Frankly