Woman cut after suspect followed her, children off MetroLink nea - KMOV.com

New Details

Woman cut after suspect followed her, children off MetroLink near SLU campus

Posted: Updated:

ST. LOUIS, Mo. (KMOV.com) – Multiple witnesses say a woman ran to a Starbucks for help after she was attacked by a man with a knife a just blocks south of the St. Louis University campus.

The 24-year-old victim told News 4 she boarded a westbound MetroLink train at the Civic Center with several relatives, ages 9 to 19, around 9:30 p.m. While on the train, the suspect, a man in his 30's, approached the group and started talking.

According to the victim, the suspect pushed a 9-year-old she was with, which prompted her to tell the suspect to get away from the child.

The suspect then grabbed the victim's neck and her brother attempted to stop him. The suspect bit the brother during the altercation, the victim said.

The group exited the train at Grand and the suspect followed. The victim said the suspect hit his face on the ground while leaving the train.

When the suspect stood back up, he followed the group and another confrontation ensued. The victim grabbed the suspect's arm to keep him away from the children she was with.

A nearby security officer noticed the victim grabbing the suspect's arm and demanded that she release him, which she did. The victim then attempted to explain the situation to the security officer.

After releasing the suspect's arm, the children the victim was with began running towards a Starbucks in the 200 block of South Grand.

According to the victim, the suspect swung a knife and cut her neck.

The children then grabbed chairs from outside of the Starbucks and hit the suspect, causing him to run to a Shell gas station where he was arrested. According to police, the suspect had to be restrained by multiple officers and a taser was deployed, which was unsuccessful.

A knife was found on the suspect, police said.

The victim was treated at the scene for the minor cut to her neck.

One officer sustained minor injuries by the resisting suspect and was treated at the scene.

The investigation is ongoing.

Powered by Frankly