· 2 eggs
· 1 cup milk
· 1 cup water
· 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
· 3 cups all-purpose flour
· 1/4 cup sugar
· 1 tablespoon baking powder
· 1/4 teaspoon salt
· Flavorless Oil for deep-fat frying such as vegetable, safflower, canola, ect
· Confectioners' sugar
· Garnishes such as whipped cream, fruit compote, ect
· 1. In a large bowl, beat eggs. Add milk, water and vanilla until well blended. In another bowl, whisk flour, sugar, baking powder and salt; beat into egg mixture until smooth. In an electric skillet or deep-fat fryer, heat oil to 375° alternatively place a large, deep pot on the stove and use a deep fryer/candy thermometer to keep the oil at 375 degrees.
· 2. Cover the bottom of a funnel spout with your finger; ladle 1/2 cup batter into the funnel. Holding the funnel several inches above the oil, release your finger and move the funnel in a spiral motion until all the batter is released (scraping with a rubber spatula if needed). You can also use a squeeze bottle with a large opening for this.
· 3. Fry 2 minutes on each side or until golden brown. Drain on paper towels. Dust with confectioners' sugar; serve warm. Top as desired
· Yield: 8 cakes.