ST. LOUIS (KMOV.com) – The Fenton Fire Protection District has some tips on how to stay safe while using a space heater this winter.
In a demonstration for News 4, Fenton firefighters staged a bedroom with a bed, walls, curtains and a space heater. The demonstration showed how quickly the curtains in a room can catch fire after a space heater is turned on near them.
“People don’t know how much current come through their outlets and sometimes they are using too much equipment on those circuits,” said Captain Doug Ruse, of the Fenton Fire District and the Professional Firefighters of Eastern Missouri.
When using a space heater, Ruse advises to keep it on a level, hard, non-flammable surface, never use an extension cord, make a three-foot empty radius around it and never use it in a potentially wet area.
Space heaters have been blamed for the deaths of three children in recent weeks.