NORTH ST. LOUIS (KMOV.com) – Firefighters went to the homes of residents in the 3900 block of North 21st Street to inspect smoke detectors after a 7-year-old girl was killed in a fire on Friday.
“Unfortunately, there was a tragic incident in this very block so we’re back,” said St. Louis Fire Department Captain Garon Mosby. On Friday, a 7-year-old girl died and a 6-year-old was critically injured after a house fire in north St. Louis. “The neighbors saw it and, of course, it affects them just like it affects us as firefighters.”
Firefighters say the fire on Friday was caused by two space heaters plugged into the same outlet.
“I thought about the heaters. We have space heaters too and it made me think how to place it,” said Tyrone Williams, a neighbor down the street. “That’s the first thing that came through my mind and the kids.”
Williams’ home was one of dozens firefighters came to and inspected the condition of smoke detectors and fire alarms.
“I had no problem letting them in,” Williams said. “I got to make sure we good because I have four kids and it’s always hard to lose a kid.”
Anyone who lives in St. Louis city can ask for this free service. If you are having a problem with a smoke alarm, you are encouraged to call the fire department.