ST. MARY, Mo. (KMOV.com) – Five people were airlifted out of St. Genevieve County to St. Louis hospitals after their home caught fire Friday morning.
Fire officials say four adults and three kids were inside a two-story home, located in the 840 block of Third Street, when it caught fire just after midnight.
The three kids and two of the adults were conscious when they were airlifted from the scene of the fire, according to officials. Their condition has not been released.
Fire officials believe the fire was caused by a space heater in the home.
Gregg Favre, with the St. Louis Fire Department, tweeted to News 4’s Mike Colombo that, in the past 24 hours, four people have been killed and 12 injured due to fires from secondary heart sources.
@Mike_Colombo In last 36 hours regionally, fires from secondary heat sources have injured 12+, killing 4. Proper use critical to safety.— Gregg Favre (@GreggFavre) February 6, 2015