Tips courtesy of Angie’s List
A bathroom update typically yields an 80 percent return. Angie’s List, the nation’s premier provider of consumer reviews, asked highly-rated remodeling companies on where to invest in the bathroom.
- Bathrooms are a great place to invest home improvement dollars.
- Bathroom remodels are expensive so you need to make sure that money is spent wisely.
- Before even beginning your project, take a hard look at your budget and be realistic about what you can afford.
- You can save on decorative items, but you really need to invest in high-quality for faucets, toilets, tubs and showers that get daily use.
Popular bathroom trends:
- Over the last couple of years many homeowners are finding that garden tub isn’t really being used much and it takes up a lot of space. The trend now is a larger, multi-head shower instead.
- Invest in high-quality cabinets, tubs, showers and toilets. These items get daily use and need to stand up to the test of time.
- While choosing top-quality fixtures are important, you can save on decorative items, such as lighting and knobs.
Hiring a bathroom remodeling company:
- Bathroom remodels entail electrical and plumbing work, so consumers must be sure their contractor is appropriately licensed to do the job.
- You should never hire on price alone, and you should have at least three apples-to-apples bids to compare before you hire. If one of them is extremely higher or lower than the others, you have to question why that is.
- If your bathroom has any mold issues, you need to make sure your contractor is properly trained and certified in mold remediation.
- Check out the company’s reputation on Angie’s List, ask the business for references and photos of completed projects.
- Find a contractor who is willing to work with your budget.