The H1N1 debate...again! - KMOV.com

The H1N1 debate...again!

Posted: Updated:
By Afton Spriggs By Afton Spriggs

A couple of months ago, it seemed every blog entry I wrote was about the H1N1 vaccine. Should my son get the shot? What are the risks? Is it safe? What if my son doesn't get the shot and gets the swine flu? Which is worse, the shot or the flu? I pondered all of these questions for months. I had discussions with other moms, my doctor, my family. I read articles and blogs. I did a lot of research on it. When it came time to decide, I called my doctor's office, and they didn't have the vaccine. I waited a couple of weeks...still no vaccine. I wanted Jude to get the vaccine from our pediatrician, so when he didn't have it for so long, I just let it go.

Last week, we went in for Jude's 15-check-up and the doctor asked if we wanted the H1N1 shot. I was caught off guard. I hadn't thought about that shot for months. I didn't know what to say. I couldn't remember if my husband and I ever came to a decision. I told the docor not to give Jude the shot yet and that I'd call if I wanted it. So here I am, back at the debating phase. I feel just as confused as I was at the beginning of all of this.

Part of me feels like it's not worth getting the shot at this point. Flu season is almost over and we've made it this far, why get an unnecessary shot? Then again, I read an article that says February is going to be a worse month for H1N1 than November and December were. In fact, I have a baby cousin that is just 6 months younger than Jude who came down with a really bad flu (likely H1N1) recently, and I don't want to go through what my aunt went through. Trips to the ER, 105-degree fever - scary!

So moms, let the debate begin...again. Did your kids get the H1N1 flu vaccine? Tell me why they did or didn't. Post your comments below or e-mail me: aspriggs@kmov.com

I'll keep you posted on what we decide for Jude.

Powered by Frankly