Business looted, shots fired, arrests made in Ferguson Tuesday -

Business looted, shots fired, arrests made in Ferguson Tuesday

Posted: Updated:
By Daniel Fredman By Daniel Fredman
By Adam McDonald By Adam McDonald
By Adam McDonald By Adam McDonald
By Adam McDonald By Adam McDonald
By Adam McDonald By Adam McDonald

FERGUSON, Mo. ( – The St. Louis County Police Department said five people were arrested, one business was looted and vandalized and officers were hit with rocks after an unruly crowd gathered in Ferguson Tuesday night.

St. Louis County Police said they received four calls for “shots fired” starting at 9:03 p.m.

Photos: Computer Mobile

The Ferguson Police Department said they received a call for looting which brought them to the Beauty Town store at 9163 W. Florissant. Missouri Highway Patrol Captain Ron Johnson said the looters tried to take a cash register from the store. All of the store’s windows have been boarded up.

Officials with Ferguson fire say are currently investigating a small fire at the Whistle Stop on 1 Carson Road which happened during the unrest. They say the fire was extinguished by a garden hose.

Johnson said it appeared that gasoline was poured around the building.

Johnson said throughout the evening officers were threatened and had rocks and bottles thrown at them. Johnson said one officer was hit below the eye with a rock. He also said another offer sustained a minor injury.

Authorities said two Missouri State Highway Patrol Cars were damaged by rocks.

Outside of the Canfield apartments, officers were shot at by a group of people, Johnson said.

Click here to view raw video from Tuesday night in Ferguson

One juvenile was among five people arrested throughout the night, authorities have not said what the five were arrested for. 

Around 4:00 a.m., authorities opened a new investigation after someone threw a Molotov cocktail at a towing company that contracts with the city of Ferguson. Authorities have not released any other details about the new investigation.  

Police said there were 100 to 150 people were demonstrating during the five hours of unrest in the city. 

Johnson said the Ferguson police officers were wearing body cameras throughout the night, but the videos have not been released.

The unrest began less than 15 hours after the memorial to Michael Brown Jr. caught on fire. The memorial was feet away from where Brown was fatally shot on Aug. 9 by Ferguson Police Officer Darren Wilson. Police speculate the fire was caused by candles. Tensions in the area were growing throughout the day.

Powered by Frankly