Terminal at Phoenix airport re-opens after shooting suspect is a - KMOV.com

Terminal at Phoenix airport re-opens after shooting suspect is arrested

Posted: Updated:

PHOENIX (CBS5) - SWAT officers arrested a suspect connected to a Tempe shooting following an hours-long search that shut down Terminal 4 at Sky Harbor International Airport.

Phoenix police Sgt. Steve Martos tweeted the man police had been looking for was taken into custody at around 6:45 p.m. Thursday, three hours after officers with police dogs swarmed the terminal.

The capture comes after police earlier arrested two other suspects at the airport.

Earlier, at around 2:45 p.m., the suspects were involved in a shooting that left one person wounded at a Shell gas station at 2180 E. Broadway Rd. The victim apparently was involved in some kind of fight with the suspects, Tempe police Lt. Mike Pooley said. The victim was able to get to an apartment complex across the street and call 911.

Authorities said they arrived at the scene within two minutes.  The victim's names and condition have not yet been released.

Tempe police began chasing the getaway vehicle but stopped the pursuit for safety reasons after the chase started, reaching dangerous speeds.

The suspects climbed out of the vehicle at the airport. Authorities were able to apprehend two of the suspects. One of them was on a bus transporting passengers, Pooley said. 

The third suspect managed to get away.

CBS 5 News spoke with a traveler at the airport who saw some of the pursuit.

"I was coming back from returning a rental car," the witness said. "We had just arrived at Terminal 4.  We were unloading the suitcases. One of the suspects jumped onto the bus and was hiding under a seat. Several police officer told everyone to get back. They basically ran past us. As they ran past us, he fled the bus and started running on foot."

"I just figured someone had stolen something," the witness said.

CBS 5 photojournalist Steve Aron was at the airport interviewing evacuees returning hurricane-ravaged Los Cabos when the pursuit began.

"Some security people told us to get back and move around the corner, there's an active shooter," he said.

Aron said people appear bewildered and unsure of what's happening.

"There's a little bit of nervousness," he said.

Sky Harbor airport officials released a statement immediately following the lockdown:

"Due to a Phoenix Police search for a suspect at Phoenix Sky Harbor, some airport operations at Terminal 4 are affected. Vehicles are not being allowed to pull into the Terminal 4 parking garage.

"If you're coming to the Airport, please drive slowly, use caution on the roadways and follow instructions of any Police of Operations staff that you encounter. Takeoffs and landings continue at Sky Harbor.

"We do not have further information at this time and will send out information as it becomes available. As always check flight status before you come to the airport."

Powered by Frankly