Macoupin County school to resume classes after gas leak
At least eight students were transported to area hospitals after a carbon monoxide leak at a middle school in Macoupin County. By Stephanie Baumer
GIRARD, Ill. (AP) -- School was set to resume Thursday at a Springfield-area middle school after a carbon monoxide leak that sickened more than 140 students and adults led district officials to cancel classes for two days.
Levels of the odorless gas were at zero at North Mac Schools on Wednesday after repairs to the faulty furnace flue at the intermediate school, Superintendent Marica Cullen wrote on the district’s website. Carbon monoxide detectors were installed and tested in buildings in Girard and Virden, the State Journal-Register reported.
Experts verified the flue was the source by recreating the problem and monitoring carbon monoxide levels in the building on Tuesday. School officials called students who had sought treatment after the leak Monday and were told that everyone was doing well.
Illinois doesn’t require schools to have carbon monoxide detectors.
Girard is in Macoupin County, about 25 miles southwest of Springfield.