Illinois school installs carbon monoxide detectors - KMOV.com

Illinois school installs carbon monoxide detectors

Posted: Updated:
By Daniel Fredman By Daniel Fredman
By Daniel Fredman By Daniel Fredman

GIRARD, Ill. (AP) — Officials at a Springfield-area middle school have installed carbon monoxide detectors and tested a water heater after more than 140 students and adults were sent to hospitals when they became ill from a carbon monoxide leak.

Levels of the odorless gas were at zero at North Mac Intermediate School in Girard on Tuesday after repairs to the faulty furnace flue, Superintendent Marica Cullen said.

At least three students were admitted to a Springfield hospital following the school's evacuation on Monday, but all had been released by Monday evening, the State Journal-Register reported (http://bit.ly/1wpkOzU ).

Classes were cancelled for Tuesday and Wednesday, and the school will check for the gas again Wednesday, Cullen said.

Experts verified the flue was the source by recreating the problem and monitoring carbon monoxide levels in the building on Tuesday. School officials called the students who had sought treatment and were told that everyone was doing well.

Illinois doesn't require schools to have carbon monoxide detectors.

Girard is in Macoupin (muh-KOO'-pin) County, about 25 miles southwest of Springfield.

 

Powered by Frankly