St. John’s hospital said they received 45 patients following the leak. Memorial Medical Center said they received 72 patients following the carbon monoxide leak. Memorial said the patients are mostly students, but they are treating some adults. Carlinville Area Hospital received 28 patients. All of the patients are said to be in good or fair condition.
While most of the patients being treated are students, ten are faculty members. St. John's said it admitted three students. The hospital said the students are responding well to treatment.
Dr. Lucore, with St. John's Hospital, said carbon monoxide poisoning is a life-threatening illness, but currently all those affected from the leak are being treated with oxygen therapy. He said the hospital is “cautiously optimistic that this will be handled with the present management”.
The North Mac campus has students from 6th to 8th grade.
School officials said the school would be closed on Tuesday.
Girard is located 25 miles south of Springfield and 90 miles north of St. Louis.