BESSEMER, Ala. (AP) — A funeral is scheduled for a 2-year-old Alabama boy who police say died after drinking drug-laced soda.
Police have said Demonie Hendon of Bessemer, Alabama, was being watched by a baby-sitter March 7 when he fell sick. Police say the baby-sitter, 31-year-old Cassie Townsend, told authorities that a bottle of grape soda containing methadone wasn't where she had left it. Methadone is a medication used to treat addiction to heroin and other opioid drugs.
Police believe the boy drank out of the bottle. Townsend was charged with chemical endangerment exposure to a child resulting in death.
The boy's mother, Davonna Hendon, told Al.com (http://bit.ly/1Ee7MaC ) her son would have celebrated his birthday Saturday at Chuck E. Cheese. Instead, a funeral will be held.