ST. LOUIS (KMOV) -- Five juveniles have been charged in connection to a knockout attack that left a 51-year-old man with a broken jaw in south St. Louis on October 21.
That man was released from the hospital with a broken jaw after St. Louis Mayor Francis Slay found the man nearly beaten to death on the side of the street in south St. Louis last Friday night.
Mayor Slay said he was traveling along South Grand Boulevard near the intersection of Utah Street in south St. Louis when he came upon a man who had been assaulted. The man was lying in a pool of his own blood on the side of the street and was unconscious.
The mayor and the officer he travels with were able to revive the man. They called for help and waited with the victim until an ambulance arrived. The victim was apparently walking with a friend on the sidewalk when he was hit. According to Mayor Slay, he noticed a group of youths walking away from the scene. A witness says that one member of the group punched his friend, possibly with a brick.
The victim was beaten so badly that he had to undergo facial reconstructive surgery.
Police did not say if they have made any arrests in relation to the attack.
Officials say the violent act was part of what is known as the “knockout” game. It is an ongoing problem that left a 72-year-old man dead in south St. Louis last April. In August, a bicyclist was punched in Shaw Park. In September, a 73-year-old man was knocked unconscious just outside of Tower Grove Park.
CrimeStoppers is offering a $1,000 reward for information that leads police to a felony arrest in this case. Call 866-371-8477 (TIPS) or visit the the CrimerStoppers website if you have information. You can always remain anonymous.