Investigators: St. Ann man dies after oxygen tank blows up -

Investigators: St. Ann man dies after oxygen tank blows up

Posted: Updated:
By Sarah Heath By Sarah Heath

( --- A man died following an oxygen tank explosion and subsequent fire at his home in the 3200 block of Krem in St. Ann.

Reports indicate that a 54-year-old man was hooked up to an oxygen tank for medical reasons, lit a cigarette and fell asleep.  Investigators believe that around 1:00 Monday afternoon the cigarette blew up the oxygen tank, sparking the fire.

Police say the fire was apparently going for quite some time, filling the house with smoke and it wasn't until a passing motorist spotted it did it get called in.

Firefighters believe the victim was in a chair in the front room and apparently got out of his chair to try to get his dog who was in a bedroom before becoming overcome by the smoke. 

Both the man and his dog were killed in the fire. The man suffered smoke inhalation.

News 4 was told that the man's wife left the house around 7 that morning for work. She later returned after fire crews were able to get the fire under control.

No victim identification has been made available.

The investigation is ongoing.



Powered by Frankly