(KMOV.com) -- For the second time in four years, a family in East Carondelet, Illinois has become the victim of a fire.
Authorities said the fire started sometime Friday morning. A man, who lives in the home, told fire officials he got out of bed to make some coffee and get some cigarettes out of the garage. It was long after that, he noticed the garage was on fire. He immediately alerted his wife, who was still sleeping. They both got out of the home safely, but the fire caused extensive damage to their garage.
The garage is attached to the home, but it is still unknown if the fire spread from the garage to the living area.
The couple's son was on the scene and told News 4 this is the second fire the family has suffered in the last four years. He also said there were two cars in the garage. Reportedly, one vehicle was a classic pick-up truck.
Fire officials are now looking into what may have caused the fire.