ALTON, Il (KMOV.com) – Crews responded to a fire at Ardent Mill in Alton, Illinois after a large microwave oven caught fire on Saturday.
It is unclear how the 8 feet tall, 50 feet wide oven caught fire, but officials said the flour inside the mill is highly combustible. Crews were told to keep doors and windows shut because Introducing new air would cause the materials inside the mill to ignite, causing an explosion. Crews sprayed water on the machine, located on the third floor, to cool it down.
Only ten employees were working in the factory at the time of the fire. All of them were evacuated without any injuries.
Additional fire fighters from Wood River and East Alton were called in to assist.
It is still unclear how the fire started. Ardent Mills issued a statement Sunday saying normal operations at the facility have resumed.
The investigation is ongoing.