ST. LOUIS, Mo. (FootballStL) – St. Louis Mayor Francis Slay and County Executive Steve Stenger voiced encouragement about keeping the NFL in St. Louis after a meeting Thursday with a National Football League executive.
“We want to take whatever steps are necessary,” Stenger, said Friday. “So if it's a public vote, it's a public vote. There's a rough plan in place and I was extremely encouraged by what the NFL had to say.”
Slay and Stenger spent Friday morning speaking about different issues at the State of St. Louis meeting in downtown, including the proposed 64,000-seat stadium that would cost between $860 million and $985 million.
The proposal was announced last week by attorney Robert Blitz and former Anheuser-Busch president David Peacock, the two-man team appointed by Missouri Gov. Jay Nixon in November to develop the plan.
“We're going to put together a plan that's already on paper and we're going to follow it through,” Slay said. “That's going to make it difficult for the rams to leave.” Slay did not comment on whether public money or a public vote will come into play.
Stenger said the public money discussed would not come from St. Louisan’s pockets, but a continuation of the hotel visitor tax.
Do you think the Rams will move to LA? Share your thoughts.
“It's a dedicated pool of money and a dedicated stream of money, but there would be no additional. There would be an extension of the existing stream, but there would not an incremental expense on a yearly basis,” Stenger said.
Both men acknowledged this will be a long process, but if the Rams do leave for Los Angeles, neither is willing to punt the idea of St. Louis being part of the NFL.