Carbon monoxide a concern especially during Illinois winter - KMOV.com

Carbon monoxide a concern especially during Illinois winter

Posted: Updated:
By Stephanie Baumer By Stephanie Baumer
SPRINGFIELD, Ill. (AP) -- The Illinois state fire marshal says homes are especially susceptible to carbon monoxide poisoning in winter.
 
Carbon monoxide often leaks from fuel-burning appliances and heaters when lines are not installed properly or are poorly maintained.
 
The tasteless, odorless gas causes sickness and even death if not detected.
 
State Fire Marshal Larry Matkaitis (mat-KYE'-tiss) says working carbon monoxide detectors should be installed on each floor of a home. He says a home should not be heated with an oven. Devices such as generators or grills should not be used inside a house or other enclosed area.
 
Officials say in Illinois, nearly 11,500 carbon monoxide incidents were reported to national authorities.
 
State law requires a detector within 15 feet of every room used for sleeping.

 

Powered by Frankly